Undergraduate Advance Registration
Every year, the faculty improves the curriculum and choices students have for their classes. To know what rules have changed and will affect you, you need to read the letter from the BE undergraduate chair.
After reading the letter, you will have most of your questions about registration answered, especially those regarding available courses, AP credits, electives, independent study, submatriculation, and more.
Advance Registration Process:
The procedure to gain clearance to register for the upcoming Fall 2014 registration period (March 24th-April 6th) will be the same as Spring 2014. Students will be cleared and permitted to register beginning 10am, Monday morning, March 24th.
However, even though you will be cleared to register at the start of the registration period, all undergraduate students are still required to meet with their advisor and obtain an approval signature on their Worksheet/Electronic-course planning guide (E-cpg) – BOTH VIEWS (semester and requirement). Worksheets with your advisor’s signature should be submitted to the Bioengineering office (240 Skirkanich) by Friday, April 6th. Please be sure to have both formats of the E-cpg signed, i.e., E-cpgs with classes listed by semester and by degree requirements.
NOTE: Students who have not submitted completed worksheets to the Bioengineering office by April 6th will be placed on REGISTRATION HOLD and will not be able to participate in the drop/add period until their signed E-cpg has been received.
Please use the day/times noted on the Walk-In Advising Schedule to meet with your advisor. Additional meeting times may be scheduled, so please check email from your advisor for any updated information on office hours.
- To prepare the paperwork go online to Penn InTouch and fill out the electronic worksheet for your curriculum (BSE, ASBS = BAS). Select Worksheet from the menu. Use Help to get instructions on how to fill it out.
- Important Note: When filling out the worksheet, you must enter the course numbers of the courses you are taking. The system expects that course numbers will consist of four letters followed by three numbers: e.g., MATH104. BE is only two letters, so you must enter BE courses as [BE<space><space>] or [BE 100].
- When taking cross-listed courses to fulfill the BE CPG, students are required to enroll in the engineering designation of the course. For example, students taking OPIM415, which is the same as MEAM 415, must enroll in MEAM415.
- When you have filled out the worksheet, print out BOTH the Requirement View and Term View. If applicable, attach all petitions necessary to carry out your planned curriculum including petitions to increase your course load (7cu's or higher).
- Please contact your advisor to meet with him/her before turning in your electronic worksheet to the BE Office in 240 Skirkanich. You must meet with your advisor and obtain his/her signature on your worksheet before turning it in to the BE Office.
- After you have acquired your advisor's signature, submit the worksheet to the BE office. Make sure to write your NAME on the worksheet. Your name will NOT print electronically, so please print your full, official name on your worksheet. You do NOT need a "permission to register" form. The electronic worksheet, both the semester and requirements views, is all that is required. ONLY the electronic worksheet is acceptable – no other forms can be processed.
- The registration period is: March 24th-April 6th.
- To increase credit units above 5.5 CU per semester, you must have a minimum 3.0 GPA, with no "F" or "I" on your transcript. Please make your request to increase your credits on your worksheet or email Katherine Sas.
- Rising Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors: You should follow SEAS rules for course load/additional credits available in the SEAS Undergraduate Handbook. Generally, if you meet the guidelines, you can increase your courses when you submit your eCPG for approval. If you do not meet the guidelines, you can always submit a petition for action and have the petitions committee review your request. Also, if you want to register for more than 6.5 CUs, a petition is required.
- Print your full official name on both views of eCPG.